four ways to clean a Beautyblender or makeup sponge that take just a few minutes each

how to clean your makeup sponges thumbnail

Julia Guerra/Concern Insider

When you purchase through our links, Insider may earn an chapter committee. Acquire more.

  • Routinely cleaning your Beautyblender or makeup sponge will help you get more than apply out of the applicator and likewise prevent breakouts.
  • There are a few different ways to clean a makeup sponge. The near pop methods include soaking it in warm water with dish lather and using castor shampoo.
  • I tested out four different ways to clean a makeup sponge and shared my thoughts on the effectiveness of each one. Dish soap worked surprisingly well.
  • Run into too: the best dazzler blenders and makeup sponges
  • Sign up for Insider Reviews' weekly newsletter for more buying communication and great deals.

I have a confession to make: Before writing this, I couldn't call back the last time I cleaned a makeup sponge. Once it starts looking used or there are petty tears in the foam, I ordinarily just toss information technology. I'1000 aware this is neither eco-friendly nor hygienically sound, which is why I've made a delivery to change my ways.

Laziness is partially to blame (I struggle to go through my own skincare regimen these days, and you look me to give my sponge a bath?), and the fact that I haven't really known how to clean a makeup sponge has likewise been a contributing cistron.

If y'all, like me, have neglected to make clean your makeup sponge on a regular ground, hither'south some incentive for y'all: Sponges are porous, pregnant they soak up and retain liquids. Ergo, even later on a single utilize, makeup sponges concord on to foundation, concealer, and oils, becoming a convenance footing for bacteria and microorganisms, explains Dr. Stacy Chimento, a lath-certified dermatologist at Riverchase Dermatology in Miami.

Why you should clean your Beautyblender or makeup sponges, according to a dermatologist

"Dirty makeup [applicators] clog pores and may also promote the development of acne and skin infections," Dr. Chimento tells Insider. "In severe cases, bacteria can spread to open wounds you accept from acne, waxing, or other hair removal forms, which are entry points for irritants."

She as well adds that when y'all're non routinely cleaning your makeup sponges, they don't perform the way they're supposed to considering there is so much product buildup.

How often should you clean your makeup sponges?

If you wear makeup every day and a Beautyblender is your become-to applicator, Dr. Chimento suggests giving information technology a wash at least once or twice a calendar week, if not later on every use (especially if you're applying a significant corporeality of makeup). This is because makeup sponges "typically breed the most bacteria out of whatsoever applicator because of their ability to hold onto wet," she says.

Washing your makeup sponge at least in one case or twice a calendar week might sound like a big ask, but it's really not. In fact, there are a few unlike ways to clean a Beautyblender that have minimal effort or time away from your twenty-four hour period. I've tested them all to find out which ones work best, and you'll find my thoughts on each technique below.

Technique 1: Soaking it in regular dish soap or hand soap

Before and after.
Julia Guerra/Business organisation Insider

Because information technology had been so long since I had cleaned my makeup sponge, I decided to start fresh by giving the applicator a nice bath.

Julia Guerra/Business Insider

I filled up a container with warm h2o and added a few pumps of dish soap.

And then I dropped my sponge into the concoction, mixing it around to let the soap and h2o really settle into the material.

Julia Guerra/Business Insider

I allow my sponge soak for nearly fifteen minutes before squeezing out the backlog liquid.

Julia Guerra/Business organisation Insider

Needless to say, there was a lot of product clouding upwardly the water. From at that place, I spot-treated any leftover stains by massaging a tiny pump of lather into the area and giving information technology a thorough rinse.

I'd highly recommend this technique for sponges that demand a deep clean.

Julia Guerra/Business concern Insider

Soaking really loosens upward the sponge so the makeup can seep out into the water. Plus, while this technique definitely takes the well-nigh time, there'due south less grunt work on your role.

Technique 2: Cleaning the sponge with your facial cleanser

Before and after.
Julie Guerra/Concern Insider

After establishing that lather and water does the trick, I decided to attempt the face up cleanser method next.

Julia Guerra/Business organization Insider

I decided to test new cleaning methods every three or iv days from my sponge's start soak. That manner I would clean my sponge most twice a week.

In merely a few days time, my makeup sponge was already sporting some serious foundation stains. I dampened the sponge and applied some of my Pacifica Creamy Gel Vegan Confront Cleanser, massaged the product in, and rinsed thoroughly.

I had to repeat the rinsing footstep a few times, and I'm however not sure whether that was a reflection of the cleanser or how dirty my makeup sponge was.

Julia Guerra/Business organization Insider

This specific cleanser has a really gentle formula for peel, and so it was probably gentle on the sponge too.

Julia Guerra/Business Insider

Overall, I didn't love this method. Not considering information technology doesn't do a decent task of cleaning the sponge, just because I'd rather use dish soap than waste matter my confront wash on a makeup applicator.

Technique 3: Putting the sponge in the microwave

Earlier and afterwards.
Julia Guerra/Business Insider

To be honest, the idea of putting a dingy sponge in a bowl that I eat out of sounded sacrilegious to me.

Julia Guerra/Concern Insider

I'm glad I did it anyway.

In her tutorial, makeup creative person Tati Westbrook recommends putting the sponge in a microwave-safe bowl with an inch of water and heating it for xxx seconds.

Julia Guerra/Business organization Insider

I misheard her and went for a total minute. No regrets, though. Like I mentioned at the beginning of this article, it had been a long time since I started regularly cleaning my makeup sponge and information technology probably benefited from the additional xxx seconds.

When I took the sponge out of the microwave, all of the foundation stains that congenital upward over the last few days were still intact.

Julia Guerra/Business Insider

Think, this method alone does non have makeup out of the sponge. Information technology does, however, loosen it upward.

Once you lot've let your sponge cool down, you can clean information technology with soap under warm running h2o.

Julia Guerra/Business Insider

I was surprised at how easily and rapidly the makeup poured out of the sponge compared to the other methods I tried. It's probably not necessary every fourth dimension, but I would definitely practise this once a month.

Technique 4: Using proper makeup brush cleaner

Before and after.
Julia Guerra/Business Insider

If you're thinking "a sponge is non a brush," you would exist right. But soap is soap, and then let'due south see what happens.

Julia Guerra/Concern Insider

Even though makeup sponges and brushes are fabricated of dissimilar materials, I wanted to see if it would exist effective on a sponge. It was.

I've been using Sigma Beauty's Sigmatic Brush Shampoo for years on my makeup brushes, then that'due south what I tested on my dirty sponge.

Julia Guerra/Concern Insider

The formula is all-natural, cruelty-free, hypoallergenic, and prides itself on being both a cleanser and conditioner. According to the product's description, information technology tin also be used to clean blenders.

I dampened my beauty blender with warm h2o and massaged the soap into the well-nigh prominently makeup-stained areas.

Julia Guerra/Business Insider

The formula worked similarly to dish soap, simply I actually constitute that I needed to use less of the shampoo than I did the lather — I was merely at my sink for three minutes at most.

Turns out, the castor shampoo was super constructive at cleaning my sponge.

Julia Guerra/Business Insider

Granted, I was just working with a few days worth of stains, only I was impressed by how apace and efficiently this formula got the job done. x/10 would recommend.

The bottom line

Washing your makeup sponge is quick and painless and should honestly be done weekly. Not only was information technology fascinating to come across simply how much foundation and concealer had built up in the depths of this squishy applicator over time, merely cleaning my makeup sponge made it more enjoyable to use.

I've also noticed fewer breakouts in the past month, and my makeup sponge looks much amend on my vanity when it's bright and pink. Do yourself a favor and have 5 minutes to clean your makeup sponge. Your skin will thank you!

Subscribe to our newsletter.

Disclosure: This post is brought to you lot by the Insider Reviews team. Nosotros highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you lot buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. Nosotros frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to exam. This does non drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advert sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email u.s. at reviews@businessinsider.com.